My daughter has lots of beautiful curly hair and anything smaller than a watermelon looks small in her hair, kinda disappears, so I decided to make her an oversized hair bow using a simple technique I learned a while ago. I have made many bows for her using it and it is really simple. You can even stacks the bows on top of each other like I did below:
So, for this oversized bow you need:
1. 1 1/2 " Grosgrain ribbon
2. Elastic Thread
3. Two alligator clips or any other clip
4. 3/8" Grosgrain ribbon
5. Hot glue gun or fabric glue
1. Start by cutting your large ribbon: for an oversized bow, between 24 and 28 inches works well. For this one I used 24"
2. Fold it in half
3. Mark the middle very well as you will use it as a future reference
4. Open the ribbon
5. Bring the first end of your ribbon to the middle, from below, as seen below. Note that you bring middle part with middle part together. I hope it is not too confusing...
6. Do the same thing with the other end, but from above
7. Mark the centre with your finger
8. Now bring each fold to this centre
9. Grab the whole "almost" bow
10. Place your alligator clips around the centre on each side
11. Be sure that you know where the centre is, for your bow to have symmetry in the end
12. Grab your elastic thread
13. Cut a piece and pass it under the bow, between the clips
14. Do some loops around the centre, tightening it up each time, and finish it off with a knot
15. After you have secured it with a know you can remove the alligator clips
16. It will look like this , not very pretty, but do not worry...
17. Open the bow and it will be perfect
18. Use your narrow ribbon to cover the thread in the middle and finish it off . Use a dab of hot glue or fabric glue to do this
You can attach a clip on the back or attach this bow to a headband
And here she us, the reason I looooove to make hair bows!!!!!