Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jute Yarn Key Frame

Since I bought these antique looking keys at Michael's for $1.50 each I wanted to frame them. Oh well, they are all over the craft/blog world and they are beautiful after all.
Today, when finally I sat down to make them I realized I did not have an important part of the project.... burlap, to use as the mat. Humm...And I wanted these frames done TODAY as I want to have my craft room finished, at last ( we moved 2 years ago and this has been a work in process).
I decided I was going to use paper, maybe cute scrapbook paper, even thought of fabric, but, when I went  downstairs ( TRUE!!:0)  to get my glue gun........................... .........I......saw.......THEM!!!!!!!






I had this A-HA, "light bulb"  moment and I knew I had to use this....jute yarn! I had tons left from a Christmas project I did last year ( with  styrofoam covered balls).



I did...and they turned out beautiful in the end ...I love them!








All you will need:


- Jute yarn/twine
-Hot glue gun
-Pencil
-Picture frame
-Old or antique looking  keys
-scissors












The frames: I bought them at dollarama for $2 dollars each. They were that ugly brown colour but had a nice texture to them, I gave them 2 coats of cheap white craft paint, a bit of sanding to give them that antique look I love and here it is:




1. First, mark the bottom and upper inner edge of  frame onto the back part







2. Remove the back part. It is where you will wrap the twine





It will look like this:



3. Put  your finger where the mark is and start wrapping the twine, after securing this end wit hot glue










4. Continue wrapping the twine. Every 5th or 6th loop put a dab of hot  glue for extra tightness




Do not forget to let the hanger free while you are wrapping the yarn












At the end it will look like this






5. Put this back part back into the frame. You might need to give it a little push, but it will go back in place easy


The  back view...




.....Front view



6. With the hot glue gun attach the key...and "voila"!!



I  liked it so much and it is so easy to make, that I made another one right away, seriously it takes 5 minutes!

And here they are already hung on my craft room wall!






Hope you all liked and  feel an itch to do it  too!

13 comments:

  1. Love those keys! I'll have to try this. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this! it looks so great!!

    PS: I'm doing a giveaway on my blog for $20 to my etsy shop, so if you like pretty jewelry you should come enter!! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-spring-fling-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I will have to keep this one in mind. I would love for you to share it on More The Merrier Monday's Link Party!!

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful idea!.. the texture is great!.. so eye catching!..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love jute. This idea is fabulous. Thanks for sharing it.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came over from CraftOManiac. What a great idea--it came together really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea! Just got the shock of my life to see you have a decorating blog now, too! I want to "get me some" of those keys as well.

    I just became your newest follower. Would love to have you follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful, love the texture!!
    great job!

    I'm you're newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Super cute! :)

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of this jute stuff that has been going on in blog-world lately! This is a great project, they turned out really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog and this project with jute - so fun and gorgeous... a great idea!! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete