Monday, April 18, 2011

Burlap Brooch


HI!!!

Keeping my burlap (or lack of it theme) :0) I decided to make another piece for the burlap contest here and here ( I LOVE CONTESTS!!!). As I love to make rosette flowers ( my Etsy store almost ready to launch, just around the corner, ypiee!) I decided to make a burlap brooch. Easy peasy...

First......take a strip of burlap...in this rosette  I used one 25 inches long and 3 inches wide..

2. Fold in half lengthwise and then, at the beginning  of it fold it in a small triangle shape


3. Fold the top part of this small triangle to the middle and start rolling your burlap. At  each "turn",  fold the most external part again, always directing it to the middle and put a dab of hot glue or fabritac ( fabric glue). You can also  use needle and thread to secure it. ( my oh my,  am I explaining this  in a very complicated way?? SORRY:0( . This is easier  done than said, believe me!...try and you will see!! :0)



4. IMPORTANT: In the very beginning,  hold tightly the bottom part of the triangle you made between your thumb and index finger, and keep this way. Otherwise, the bottom of it will get to "bulky", hummm...not pretty ...

5. Keep rolling and folding your burlap, I can see a rosette already,  so  cute..can you? 

 6. keep up the good work....roll, fold, glue...
 7. more...roll. fold, glue....rosette, rosette, rosette.....
 8. Well, I will not lie, the bottom of it looks like a ( cute) mess... but do not panic!! no no no...

 9. ...Just fold it and ...GLUE IT....you can cut it to but make sure the centre of your rosette is well  attached, otherwise it may unravel..


10. Here it is, your beautiful burlap flower ( almost ) ready....but it is a brooch, remember?
so...

11. Cut a felt circle, and hot glue a brooch pin to it...


12. Glue both to the bottom of your flower

13. and YES, embellish it with some cute and feminine thing...in this case I picked beautiful (fake, but yet  beautiful) pearls.












14. You can use anywhere...to beautify an ugly disposable shopping tote or a sad looking canvas library tote bag...a beautiful and simple white blouse......you name it!!



BURLAP RULES!!


DIY Club

2 comments:

  1. Now how awesome is that (so cute, I bookmarked it)? ya know, I was at Joann Fabrics over the weekend and there was a lady buying lots of burlap and I thought maybe next time I will get a yard or two and stash it until I find what can be made with it...this flower would be one of the first things.
    I'm a new follower from the blog hop and so happy I stopped by.
    http://slipstitchesandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, too cute! You really know how to make burlap feminine. Who would have thunk it?! I saved a link for a tutorial that someone else did, probably a month ago, and thought to myself, "Self, you need to make some of those", but self didn't do it yet. Been too busy trying to get our kitchen redo. finished. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete